When walking my dog recently, I overheard some guys arguing about the best soundproofing material for cars..
I don’t know where the debate came from but their heated argument piqued my interest in soundproofing car (s)
Now, there is no known method of sound proofing your car 100%…so you shouldn’t ask “how to make car sound proof”
And so Soundproofing for cars actually refers to dampening and reducing noise so that your rides are more pleasant.
As such, you will enjoy your music more and relax while riding
Now you may say that you have no idea how to soundproof your car…
Here is the truth:
Soundproofing your car is much easier than you think. A whole lot easier than even soundproofing an apartment
All you require is to get the right deadening materials and some time.
Sound deadening materials can be applied almost everywhere in your car- the doors, floors and so on, to block outside noise from passing in.
Even better, Soundproofing can make only the noises you love, such as stereo and also make your in-car conversations clearer and crisper.
All in all, they make an incredible difference in your audio sytem.
So, what are the top-10 sound deadening car solutions?
|Editor's Rating||Image||Name & Link||Thickness|
|Best High-End||FatMat Self-Adhesive RattleTrap Sound Deadener.||80 mil|
|Best Mid-Range||Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat.||80 mil|
|Best Inexpensive||FatMat Self-Adhesive BLACK Butyl MegaMat Sound Deadener.||
Then, read on…
- Best Sound Deadening Material For Cars.
- 1. FatMat Self-Adhesive RattleTrap Sound Deadener.
- 2. Noico 80 Mil 36 Sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat.
- 3. FatMat Self-Adhesive BLACK Butyl MegaMat Sound Deadener Pack.
- 4. Noico 80 Mil 10 Sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat.
- 5. SoundQubed Q-Mat Sound Deadening Mat.
- 6. Uxcell 394mil 16.36sqft Car Noise Sound Deadener.
- 7. GTMAT Automotive Sound Dampener 80mil Ultra Door Kit.
- 8. Thermo-Tec 14620 60″ X 36″ Heat and Sound Suppressor.
- 9. Dynamat Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener.
- 10. Siless 157 mil 37.5 sqft Car Sound Deadening Foam.
- Factors To Consider When Buying Best Soundproofing Material For Cars.
Best Sound Deadening Material For Cars.
1. FatMat Self-Adhesive RattleTrap Sound Deadener.
This puts you in control of what reaches your eardrum.
It improves the bass and overall audio quality to the levels you love while eliminating annoying road noises, vibrations, and distortions.
With an ability to give you an extra 3 dB in sound, the fatmat rattletrap sound deadener is one of the highly rated car sound deadening.
- 18-inch wide x 33.5 feet long
- Comes with its Install Kit
- Super-thick adhesive (80 mil thickness)
- heat-resistant aluminum coating
- Super thick foil
- Doesn’t come out easily
- Makes an immediate difference
- Easy to trim
- Conform and sticks to almost any shape
- Slightly tougher to install compared with some of the rest
- Initially smells but soon the odor goes
The fatmat rattletrap sound deadener absorbs all annoying noises while amplifying your audio quality.
It can actually lead to a 3 db. increase in sound and is rated as one of the best car sound insulation.
2. Noico 80 Mil 36 Sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat.
You may might think, “but I won’t like to reduce the sound in my audio system” Well, sound deadening actually does more… it also improve by a distance the quality of your system
Noico 80 mil sound deadening mat comprises of butyl plus other different improvers and greatly improves the quality of your audio.
And with an adequate adhesion, Noico mat is super-easy to install and is very user-friendly car soundproofing mat.
- Made of automotive butyl
- Special indicator shows if it’s installed correctly.
- Foil has a special embossing
- Comes in several handy size sheets
- Thickness :80 mil
- Total coverage area:36 sq. Feet;
- You experience much fewer rattles
- Your stereo really sounds better
- Very easy to install
- No smell
- Made of high quality materials
- It is a little heavy and may add weight to your car
- doesn’t come with a roller
Compared with other auto sound deadening materials, the Noico 80 mil sound deadening mat is by far superior due to its enhanced sound improvement materials.
It is one of those car sound dampening materials that could prove a very sound deal!
3. FatMat Self-Adhesive BLACK Butyl MegaMat Sound Deadener Pack.
A sister to the aforementioned fatmat rattletrap sound deadener, but with a lower price, the fatmat self-adhesive black butyl sound deadener is another auto soundproofing solution which is able to fully control the vibrations coming from the speakers so they you can hear accurately.
Its quality pressure-sensitive adhesive backing ensures it doesn’t come out of its place cheaply.
- Two sheets (18 inch x 40 inch)
- Made of butyl rubber compound
- Includes an install kit
- Black finishing, reinforced aluminum face
- Anti-vibration membrane
- Flexible enough to fit anywhere in your car.
- Great price
- Very thick- perfect for noise absorption
- Comes with its complete installation kit
- Sticks well.
- Easy to cut
- Removing it is tough
This is awesome in absorbing vibrations and irritating noises. And it sticks well thanks to its pressure-sensitive adhesive backing.
It’s another one to watch out for when looking for sound deadening for cars.
4. Noico 80 Mil 10 Sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat.
Butyl material is preferred in most sound deadening mat (s) as it is extremely flexible and specially designed to match to the any shape on whichever surface it’s applied to.
The noico 80 mil 10 sqft car sound deadening mat is made from a 100% aluminum backed butyl material, the exact one used in the best car noise insulation brands
But unlike some of the high-end sound proof car products, this is very affordable.
- Made from thicker butyl material
- Special indicator to show if it’s installed correctly.
- Comes in 10 handy sized sheets
- Special embossing on its foil
- Thickness: 80 mil
- Total coverage:10 sq. Feet;
- Installs on easy
- Doesn’t smell
- Kills vibration expertly
- Insanely low price
- Super quality
- Doesn’t come with a roller
The noico 80 mil 10 sqft car sound deadening mat is an excellent sound deadening product and may turn out to be the most cost-effective noise reducer
It compares and even exceeds some of the premier brands in terms of performance. What a product!
5. SoundQubed Q-Mat Sound Deadening Mat.
As a general rule, the thicker the material, the better the performance.
The soundqubed q-mat sound deadening mat has one of the thickest butyl at 86.6Mils so you can imagine its performance.
The other thing, unlike some of the best soundproofing material for cars, Q-Mat butyl is pure and has no harmful additives like asphalt or related chemicals.
- Coverage: 16 Square Feet
- Thickness: 86.6Mil
- 100% Butyl Rubber
- Aluminum Backing
- Cranks up the SPL
- Easy to install
- Sticks great
- No hazardous additives
- Super thick and heavy
- Smells a bit but it soon goes.
This lays claim to fame by the virtue of being one of the thickest. Then, it’s one of the safest – no dangerous chemicals /additives.
And in terms of performance, you can’t ask for more!
6. Uxcell 394mil 16.36sqft Car Noise Sound Deadener.
If you frequently drive for more hours, sound proofing your car will make you enjoy your rides and perhaps reduce fatigue.
It could even be better if you can make your sound more centralized and melodious by simply changing the direction of your sound transmission
This is uncharted territory for many automotive soundproofing products..
And that is precisely why the uxcell 394mil car noise deadener does!
As a bonus, it also blocks heat.
- Made from Heat proof fiberglass
- Waterproof and Moisture proof
- Coverage: 60″ x 40″
- Covered with an Aluminum foil
- Thickness: 10mm
- Adhesive sticks firmly
- Easy to cut
- Shock resistant
- Fits in the hard-to-reach places
- Also blocks heat
- Foam is a bit smelly
With a capacity to make sound more central and harmonious, the uxcell 394mil car noise deadener is an outstanding soundproofing car innovation.
Has a peel-n-stick backing, is easier to cut and fits even hard-to-reach places.
7. GTMAT Automotive Sound Dampener 80mil Ultra Door Kit.
To fully sound proof a car, and get better audios, you may have to apply several layers of a sound dampener- which not only takes time but also adds weight to your car.
But if you have the GTMAT automotive sound dampener door kit, you will no longer have to go that length- Just one layer will be enough to triple your stereo’s output quality.
And it’s very pocket friendly!
- Coverage: 12sqft (4 sheets each 12″x36″)
- For your car doors
- Thickness: 80 Mil Thick
- door kit comes with complete installation kit
- 4 Mil Aluminum Shielding,
- Made from black elastomeric rubber compound
- Adheres instantly to all surface
- Heavy duty
- Adhesive is super strong
- Extremely durable
- Doesn’t smell
- Its installation tools are kind of flimsy
By applying just a single layer of this affordable deadener (door kit), you absorb all rattles and road noises as well as improving your car audio quality by at least 200%.
With this, you will never again need to ask how to soundproof car interior!
8. Thermo-Tec 14620 60″ X 36″ Heat and Sound Suppressor.
During hot weather, you need to suppress both the sound & radiant heat finding its way to the cabin.
Made of polyethylene film, its foil surface shields from radiant heat and boiling temperatures as well as insulating the sound
It work well for floorboards, firewalls, or doors.
- Made from polyethylene film
- Coverage: 60″ x 36″
- Thickness: 70 mil
- Easy to trim to size and fit
- Staying put even in a hot/dusty environment.
- Brings down rattling sound and insulates against heat
- Fairly priced
- Excellent adhesion
- May not stick well on some surfaces like ceilings
The thermo-tec heat and sound suppressor exceeds expectations in controlling radiant heat and sound.
It helps your maneuver through heat and noise like a champion.
9. Dynamat Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener.
If you need vibration dampening in a warm area — for example under the hood— you’ll want a solution backed up with a heat-resisting aluminum coating.
Otherwise, any other solution will melt under the unforgiving heat.
The dynamat thick self-adhesive sound deadener is superb for high temperature areas like firewalls and floors
It comes with a heavy aluminium coating to make sure it can stand the heat!
When applied to your car’s resonant surfaces, you will enjoy higher clarity, volume and bass from your stereo.
- Comes with a 18″ x 32″ Kit
- Enhanced aluminum coating
- More effective than its predecessors
- Easy to apply
- Won’t melt down under the hood
- Fits even contoured areas
- Difficult to work with (Super sticky)
With the aluminium backing helping it to withstand heat, the dynamat thick self-adhesive sound deadener brings clarity, bass and volume to your car’s stereo as soon as you apply it to your vehicle’s resonant surfaces.
This could be the rockstar sound proofing for car solution in high temperature areas!
10. Siless 157 mil 37.5 sqft Car Sound Deadening Foam.
The Siless Liner 157 mil car deadening foam is a high-end sound deadening insulation material designed for industrial sound dampening and for applications requiring an extremely high performance.
For a demanding car enthusiast, this is an ace.
It’s also used in heavy equipment, audio industries and HVAC (heating, ventilating, & air conditioning) systems.
It admirably reduces road noises and drastically improves your car’s audio performance.
- Coverage: 37.5 sqft
- Thickness: 157 mil
- industrial sound dampening material
- Works very well affordable
- Heavy duty
- Versatile: reduces noise and improves quality
- Sticks well
- No smell
- Takes a while longer to install
Ideal for heavily demanding applications and industrial sound dampening, the Siless Liner 157 mil car deadening foam is a highly effective soundproofing solution for cars.
It’s recommended for heavy equipment, audio industries, and HVAC (heating, ventilating, & air conditioning) systems.
When you work with it, you realize that this is a phenomenal Sound Deadening material
Factors To Consider When Buying Best Soundproofing Material For Cars.
When shortlisting the best soundproofing material for cars you have to concentrate on a few critical factors.
Let’s have a look at them:
How good is the car sound insulation? For some, you will note a difference immediately while others don’t make much of a difference and should be shunned.
- Ease Of Installation/Application
Some require rollers and have more work. Others are quite flexible and cut easily so they are easier to apply. We also have those adhesives where you just “peel and stick”
- The Material Used
Butyl dominates in the best sound deadening material for cars but a key issue is to look at its thickness and coverage.
The thicker it is the better.
Also, check that your deadening solution has enough sheets to cover all the desired areas including the door.
- Targeted Area
Knowing the exact spots that you want to cover is very important.
For example, all rubber-material dampeners targeted at high temperatures area like under the hood have an aluminium backing that makes them heat resistant.
There are deadening solutions that not only better sound but also insulate against excess heat. Other factors remaining constant, such multipurpose dampeners are preferable – remember you also want to drive during the summer.
The best soundproofing material for cars will reduce irritating noises and improve your car sound quality.
That way, you are assured of a safer, and pleasurable ride- whatever your journey or car.
Options are many but the most important is to focus on the key factors- ease of installation, coverage, functionality amongst others
We have gone out of our way to review for you the 10 best soundproofing material for cars so you have an idea on where to start.
Otherwise, that’s how to quiet road noise in car.